First of all,
we have 2 websites
this site is to promote networking amoung the East Indian community and to be a mouth piece to netizens about the original inhabitants of Bombay. We jointly chose to keep the name as "east Indians of Bombay" as Bombay is internationally know, but more importantly, that we are inhabitants from the time BEFORE Mumbai. While we use the name mobai, amoung ourselves, it is not recognised by anyone, including our govenment, to have ever existed, something that we have to fight for.
On religious aspect:
We claim our being Christian, to St. Batholomew, the apostle of Christ, who came allong with St. Thomas to India. And as such we had two apostles to visit our lands. due to lack of priest and also communications being cut, over few generation we thus became nominal christians, till the advent of portuguese, who gave us the sacrements like baptism to become Roman Catholics. Whereas there is much debate of this "theory", we have numerous testomonies of people being Christian all through the centuries, from the time of Christ upto the time of the Portuguese.
On name East Indian
It is not because we were "linked up" with the East India company, as most people think. After the Indian Mutiny all heads of state (kings and princes) wrote alligiance to the Queen and the throne. At the same time there was an issue raised in the house of commons about "east Indian" christians not getting their due, as being allienated by British for being Indian and by Indians for being Christians. Hence, just like all Kings and Princes of India swore alligiance to the Queen, the Catholics of Bombay chose to do the same under the common banner of "East Indian of Bombay".
Many of our people have got poor due to policies of the government and it continues till date. The apathy of the governemnt in protecting aboriginals is absymal. The laws created fro "greater good" and "democracy" are adverse to the survival of aboriginals. hence it is imperative that we all apply for OBC and get the benifit, which is a tiny drop in the ocean.
what we expect from the Indian Government:
1) Due recognition of the East Indian Community
2) Return of Airport lands taken by the british for the 2nd world war
3) SCRAP SEZ and all other disguise of land grabbing
4) A no development zone within 100 meters of every village
5) 1 window approval to house repairs, without the need to follow the new BMC rules. This to be done only with written permission of local association
6) Freedom to practise our culture, including marriages, religious festivities, with impunity.
7) All roads around the gaothans (villages) to be renamed by the name of the Gaothan.
All pipeline reaching the village to be replaced with wide pipes
9) Special parking zones to me made available near the gaothans (villages), since road were not built before the villages. but after, to connect the villages.
10)NOMINATION of SPECIAL REPRESENTATIVE from the community in the Legilative Assembly
what we expect from the Internation Community
1) To recognise the Original Inhabitants of Bombay, and accept the fact that majority (if not all) were of Catholic (Christian) fatih.
2) To keep a watch on Human Rights violations, specifically in the freedom to practise our religion. Example: we cannot have a mid night mass, due to 10 pm deadline, for use of loud speakers. This of course is not obeyed or followed for other religious festivals, which are often given "relaxation" and carry on till 12 am and beyond.
3) To keep a watch on Human Rights violations, specifically in the freedom to practise our culture. For example, marriages where we often used to sing and dance till late night. Also most of these marriages take place at grounds near the church (incidently the lands for the chuch, being donated by the East Indians), but with law in no noise around relgious places, makes it difficult for us to celebrate marriages. This also includes pre marital ceremonies and post marital ceremonies, musicals, singing competitions...etc.
4) To keep a watch on Human Rights violations, specifically in the freedom aganist discrimination. for example: roads were built to connect one village to another, not one open space to another...hence if the road is widened to allow for free mobility of traffic the village looses it's lands. similar on acquisition of land, why does land of the original inhabitants get acquired, why does the land that go from the sea and refilling no get acquired. for example: if a SEZ for tourism can be asked for at Gorai, where original inhabitants are living, why can it be asked at Colaba, where there are mainly corporates.
This website is to keep the history of Bombay form the eyes of the East Indian Commuinty.
Hence every village can and should have snippets about their own village.
www.east-indians.com gets more site visits that are local
www.east-indians.net gets more site visits that are international