St.John the Baptist Church Save Committee
Date: 19th Feb 04
The Chief Minister,
M E MO R A N D U M
We the members of St. John the Baptist Church Save Committee along with our Christian Bretheren Make the following demands :
1) To provide grounds for burial in thhe city of Mumbai wherever the Church has no burial ground.
2) For 27 long years the people of Mulund have no cemetery/burial ground, time and again land has been allotted and relocated, leaving the people with an expenditure of not less than Rs. 15,000/- to bury their dead at Sewree Cemetery. Till the Government does not allot the land for the cemetery at Mulund, a provision should be made by the government for taking and burying the deceased of their families to sewree.
3) The Antop Hill catholic cemetery which has been encroached by hutments should be vacated and the S.R.A. scheme which is to be passed on the burial ground of our ancestors should be stopped.
4) The 500 year old Seepz Church, which is a symbol of our Origin as Christians should not only be preserved as per the agreement with the Central Government when the Chruch was handed over to them to maintain its sanctity, but also to provide access to the people to offer prayers and mass.
5) As and when the 80% land owners of Bombay, the Christian inhabitants of this city has given its land for the development of this Metropolitan city Mumbai. There exists a U.P. Bhavan (Uttar Pradesh Bhavan), but the Christians have never been thought of. Today, we demand for a land for Christian Bhavan from our Government.
6) There is an acute problem of Housing which is the product of the Discrimination of the Government upon this community. For the slum dwellers. The F.S.I provided is 2.5 to 4, whereas for the Gauthans the F,S,I provided is .75. The Slums which are 10 years old get this facility for housing, recreation, schools, Hospitals etc. But what about the Original Inhabitants of this City ? We demand the Government should direct the Corporation to give the Repair Permissions within 30 days of application and the Government to pass the F.S.I for Gauthans as it is for the slum Dwellers.
7) The Constitution too has neglected the existence of the convert Christians of this city. Since 1947, we have been deprived of our status & reservation, though the sons of the soil of the seven islands of Mumbai which comprise of East Indians Communities belong to the Bramhins, Prabhus, Pachkalshis, Charkalshis, Sonars, Khatris, Bhandaris, Kharpatils, Kunbis, Kunbhars, Nhavis, Dhobis, Kolis, Bhois, Mahars, Chanbars, Agris (ref.: Gazette of Bombay Pg. 200) . We demand the reservations which have been long deprived of i.e. the OBC status. As recently Kalina village under Vakola Police Station Jurisdiction. The Christian Community members were beaten, threatened, their lives are in danger. We want the Government to protect our minorities Community at large. After giving our valuable lands for Airports, university, Government Developments, Hospitals, Railways, still jobs are not provided for our local youths. We being `Asli Mumbaikars what a pity in our land and city, we are jobless.
Despite id our efforts, time and agains a deaf ear has been turned towards the plea of our community, the demand made by us are our basis essential rights which have been deprived of for long. We stand before you to draw your attention towards the fulfillment of the said demands failing which we shall be forced to knock the door of the law.
Today 19th Feb. 2004, we 27 Christians Youth are shaving our heads bald in protest.
WE DEMAND JUSTICE.
Mr. Nicholas Almeida
St. John The Baptist Church Save Committee.
Almeida House, Church Pakadi, Road No. 2,
Sahar, Vile Pale(E)
Mumbai 400 099
Tel: 2837 6600